Order TC-001-2018 to Centra Transmission Holdings Inc pursuant to section 51.1 of the National Energy Board Act
INSPECTION OFFICER ORDER NO. TC-001-2018
IN THE MATTER OF THE NATIONAL ENERGY BOARD ACT,
AN ORDER UNDER SECTION 51.1
is employed by Centra Transmission Holdings Inc , and is a person conducting construction on or near a facility located at Tribes Rock Replacement Project (48.63565, -93.7418) near Emo, Ontario.
On or about 28 May 2018, the undersigned National Energy Board Inspection Officer conducted an inspection of/at Tribes Rock Replacement Project (48.63565, -93.7418) near Emo, Ontario.
The Inspection Officer has determined that a hazard is being or will be caused based on the following observation:
During the inspection, Centra was not able to adequately demonstrate that the project was designed and being constructed following |Canadian Standards Association (CSA) Z662-15 requirements and National Energy Board Onshore Pipeline Regulation requirements, due to the following observations noted by the Inspection officer:
- Heavy equipment travelling over the buried pipelines without additional protection or an assessment being conducted
- Insufficient depth of cover over the new pipe being installed
- Modifications in the field to a factory made elbow
- Safety hazards related to hot tap activities including an ignition source (air compressor) near activities and a contractor having gas monitor turned off
- Safety hazards with respect to trench access and egress
- Submitted replacement plan not being followed
Based on the above mentioned, the inspection officer has reasonable grounds to believe that a hazard to the safety or security of the public or of employees of a company or a detriment to property or the environment is being or will be caused by the construction, operation, maintenance or abandonment of the pipeline, or any part of a pipeline, an abandoned pipeline or any part of it, or a ground disturbance or the construction of a facility.
Therefore, is HEREBY ORDERED,
pursuant to subsections 51.1(1) and 51.1(2) of the National Energy Board Act, to
All construction activities on the Tribes Rock Replacement Project are suspended until the following corrective actions are implemented or information is provided to the satisfaction of the undersigned inspection officer.
Demonstrate that the project has been designed and will be constructed to meet CSA Z662-15 requirements for the following:
- 1. Depth of cover
- 2. Inspections for welding and coating
- 3. Surface Loading as per clause 10.8.3
- 4. Pressure testing results
- 5. Welding procedures
- 6. Field modification of elbows
- 7. Replacement segment will allow for in-line inspection tools to pass
- 8. Design details of replacement segment
Demonstrate that the project has been designed and will be constructed to meet the requirements for the following:
- 9. Hot tap safe work procedures
- 10. Construction safety manual
- 11. Integrity dig manual
- 12. Pipe Storage requirements as per manufacturer Please provide the requested information by June 18, 2018.
|June 4, 2018|
|Suite 210, 517 10th Avenue SW Calgary AB T2R 0A8|
- Date modified: